Saturday, January 13

MRI

I've been off sick for a few days now. Excruciating migraine again, so I haven't been able to come online because I can't see properly. This morning I woke up just a little headache, but I still have that darn eye pain. I saw my optometrist yesterday and she has scheduled me for an MRI. I've never had one before, so if you have - please let me know what it was like. I called the radiology dept and they said I would be in that machine for about 40-45 minutes. Yikes... I honestly didn't think it took more than a few minutes. Leave me a comment if you've done this before - the more I know what it's actually like to be in there, the better.

1 comment:

Tracyw. said...

Hi Tracy,
I've had a couple of MRI's over the years. If I remember correctly,it goes something like this:
You get to keep your clothes on, except jewelry and shoes.
You lay down on a narrow platform attached to a large person-sized tube. The platform moves into the tube, or the tube moves over you- I don't really remember which. the sides are very close to your body.
When they take the images, you hear loud clicks and shuffling noises. This goes on & on until they get what images they need,(my knees took 30 minutes or so.
You have stay VERY still. I tried to journey to my "safe meditative place", but the sound was too loud and kept knocking me out of my meditation. It's completely painless, although if you are claustrophobic, I recommend an Emergency Flower Essence blend, a light sedative or anti-anxiety med like valium be taken before you leave to go there. In that case, have someone go with you.
that's all that happens. The techs where I went checked in with me often to make sure I was comfortable.
It's very weird , to be sure, but again, there's NO pain involved.

Sending you many wishes and blessings for a safe and comfortable day when you go for your test!
Take care,
tracyw