Monday, October 17

The Ugly Duckling

I was trying a new glazing technique on some pottery peices today. A few people were in the studio wandering and/or painting and they all shared the same look on their faces... something that combined wonder and disgust, lol. You see, they were not familiar with pottery glazes and didn't realize that what comes out to be a brilliant, luminous blue can start out as ugly, dull brown. "interesting color choices" they would say, as they saw my hidious brown beside a rusty brown. "that foam you have there.... uh is that normal?... and what about those chunks?... are you doing that right?" "Just wait till you see..." I replied, "...this ugly duckling will turn into a beatiful swan" I explained I was trying out a new glaze technique that incorporated shaving cream, and 'the chunks' were glass bits, that would melt and explode into a neat pattern. It's true, pottery glazes really turn from ugly and wicked to gorgeous from within the amazing chamber of the kiln, but I ask you this.... since when are ducklings ugly? I happen to love those little fuzzy things.


ugly ducking 1 Posted by Picasa

ugly ducking 2
Posted by Picasa


ugly ducking 3
Posted by Picasa

No comments: