Monday, October 31

Old Country

When I was little and my "Mumma" (grandmother) talked about living in Hungary, she always referred to it as living in the 'old country'. So you could say I'm back in the old country. I'm in Canada right now - looking after my boys while their father is on his honeymoon with his new wife. Cross your fingers that this one (marriage) sticks.

I'm always shocked when I cross the border, and I don't get any feelings like "oh it's nice to be home ". As beautiful as British Columbia is, I just get chilly willy shivers up my spine when I return. Life here, was just too damn dramatic. Everything was a struggle, a big ordeal, a mess. Moving away to the USA, was the best move I ever made..... with the exception of leaving my dear, sweet friend Patty behind. And of course being apart from my oldest son is hard too, but we have finally got to a great point in our relationship, which might not have happened otherwise. My youngest, Tyler, is spending the year up here. It's really hard having no kids in the house, but I console myself with the fact that he'll be home at the end of June.

I moved away from Canada in 1997 and although I really like it here - it's just not home for me. Whenever I think of home, I think of Marina del Rey. I only lived there for 2.5 years, but there was something about it that made me feel that I belong there. Now living in Oregon, I'm comfortable in my tiny little town of Florence. I think that Canada is not only the 'old country' for me, but the old life as well. Thank God.

No comments: